Guest Speaker at Dicke: Eleanor VanderMeulen

 This Wednesday guest speaker Eleanor VanderMeulen, a legal tax consultant from Caplin and Drysdale, came and spoke to any interested business students. Initially, I was worried that she would be talking solely about her practice. While it is an interesting field and something that I don't know much about, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the information that she would be sharing. 


Luckily, Eleanor talked to us about her experience and time at Ohio Northern University and how we can get the most out of Ada, Ohio. She gave six key points to help us utilize our time here and set ourselves up for success after college. She had a very impressive list of accomplishments from her time in college and talked about how being involved on campus greatly contributed to her success. However, she also talked about where she fell short and disappointed herself and others. She told us how she handled that disappointment, both responsibly and irresponsibly, and what she did to be better after the fact. 


I really enjoyed getting to learn from her and was pleasantly surprised that she talked about her failures. It's easy to talk about all of the cool stuff that you did in college and how those experiences shaped your career. But to talk about where you went wrong in front of your previous professors and peers takes a whole level of courage that most of us don't have. I admired that she not only encouraged us to believe in our success but to be prepared for our failure. Even if we don't deserve it failure will come our way and we need to be prepared to deal with it. 


After her speech I got the chance to talk to her and thank her for coming to speak with us. I asked her for help learning to balance my activities and she gave me great advice on prioritizing and awareness. It was really nice that she took time to answer my questions and gave me advice individual to me. Overall, I think that Eleanor was an amazing guest speaker and if she ever comes back I'll be sure to make time to attend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Forward

Midterm Reflection

Marketing with Pinterest